Christianity

Ste. Anne de Detroit

Information about this center is no longer updated. This data was last updated on 5 August 2002.

Phone: 313-496-1701
Website: http://www.ste-anne.org/
[flickr_set id="72157621942670358"]
The research was conducted by The University of Michigan-Dearborn Pluralism Project.

History

Ste. Anne Roman Catholic Church is Detroit's oldest religious center, founded on July 26, 1701, two days after the founding of Fort Ponchatrain, which would become the city of...
Read more about Ste. Anne de Detroit

Mother of God Chaldean Church

Information about this center is no longer updated. This data was last updated on 5 January 2006.

Phone: 248-356-0565
[flickr_set id="72157621942672424"]
The research was conducted by The University of Michigan-Dearborn Pluralism Project.

History

Chaldeans began immigrating to the metropolitan Detroit area from Chaldean villages in the northwest of Iraq as far back as 1910. The majority of the families came from the village of Telkaif, which means “Hill of...
Read more about Mother of God Chaldean Church

Detroit Mar Thoma Church

Information about this center is no longer updated. This data was last updated on 29 June 2018.

Phone: 248-213-2094
Website: http://detroitmarthoma.org/main/
[flickr_set id="72157621818389615"]
The research was conducted by The University of Michigan-Dearborn Pluralism Project.

Description

The Detroit Mar Thoma congregation was started in 1976 under the leadership of the Reverend K. T. Joy. Before the dedication of its present church building on March 11,...
Read more about Detroit Mar Thoma Church

Sts. Peter and Paul Romanian Orthodox Church

Information about this center is no longer updated. This data was last updated on 26 October 2006.

Phone: 313-274-9651
Website: http://www.spproc.org
The research was conducted by The University of Michigan-Dearborn Pluralism Project.

History

The Sts. Peter and Paul Romanian Orthodox Church was originally located in the city of Dearborn on Holly Street (in the shadow of the Ford Motor Company Rouge Plant). According to records, the first Romanian to...
Read more about Sts. Peter and Paul Romanian Orthodox Church

St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church

Information about this center is no longer updated. This data was last updated on 26 October 2006.

Phone: 248-689-9099
Email: stmarkmi@coptic.org
Website: http://www.stmarkmi.org/home.htm
[flickr_set id="72157621818387259"]
The research was done by The University of Michigan-Dearborn Pluralism Project

History and Description

St. Mark is the only Coptic Orthodox church in Michigan. The first Copts who would eventually form St. Mark Church...
Read more about St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church

Full Gospel Opendoor Assembly

Information about this center is no longer updated. This data was last updated on 5 August 2002.

Phone: 313-272-9025
The research was conducted by The University of Michigan-Dearborn Pluralism Project.

History

The Full Gospel Opendoor Assembly traces its history to 1974, the year it was founded under the name of Berean Church of God. In 1985, the congregation changed its name to the Full Gospel Opendoor Assembly. Among those involved in establishing the center was...
Read more about Full Gospel Opendoor Assembly

St. Mary's Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church

Information about this center is no longer updated. This data was last updated on 26 October 2006.

Phone: 248-233-6070
Website: http://www.stmaryschurchdetroit.org
The research was conducted by The University of Michigan-Dearborn Pluralism Project.

History

Individuals affiliated with the Malankara church began arriving in the United States in the 1970s. Initially they gathered in each other's homes for prayer and fellowship. In addition, they attended...
Read more about St. Mary's Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church

Korean Presbyterian Church of Metro Detroit

Information about this center is no longer updated. This data was last updated on 26 October 2006.

Phone: 248-356-4555
Website: http://www.kpcmd.com
[flickr_set id="72157621939360482"]
The research was conducted by The University of Michigan-Dearborn Pluralism Project.

History

The first meeting of the Korean Presbyterian Church was held at 2:00 p.m. on May 28, 1967 in a room in the basement of the Woodward Avenue Presbyterian Church in Detroit. As a...
Read more about Korean Presbyterian Church of Metro Detroit

St. Sarkis Armenian Apostolic Church

Information about this center is no longer updated. This data was last updated on 26 October 2006.

Phone: 313-336-6200
Website: http://www.saintsarkis.org
[flickr_set id="72157621942674448"]
The research was conducted by The University of Michigan-Dearborn Pluralism Project.

Armenian History in Detroit

Metropolitan Detroit is home to approximately 45,000-50,000 people of Armenian descent. Most arrived between 1910-1925, during the time of the Armenian...
Read more about St. Sarkis Armenian Apostolic Church

Most Holy Trinity Church

Information about this center is no longer updated. This data was last updated on 5 August 2002.

Phone: 313-965-4450
Research conducted by The University of Michigan-Dearborn Pluralism Project.

History

Most Holy Trinity, founded in 1834, was the first English-language Roman Catholic parish in Detroit. The earliest parishioners of the church were Irish immigrants who had settled in the area, but had attended nearby Ste. Anne Church, the city's French-language parish...
Read more about Most Holy Trinity Church

Chinese Bible Church

Information about this center is no longer updated. This data was last updated on 26 October 2006.

Contact Information

Address: 28111 West Ten Mile Road, Farmington Hills, MI 48336
Website: http://www.cbcdetroit.org/CBC2.htm

The research was conducted by The University of Michigan-Dearborn Pluralism Project.

History

In 1950, Dr. William Coltman, pastor of the Highland Park Baptist Church, extended his ministry to the Detroit Chinese community...
Read more about Chinese Bible Church

Sts. Peter and Paul Syrian Orthodox Church

Information about this center is no longer updated. This data was last updated on 26 October 2006.

Phone: 248-355-1656
The research was conducted by The University of Michigan-Dearborn Pluralism Project.

History

The Middle Eastern Orthodox community first established themselves in southeastern Michigan in the 1930s under the name St. John Syrian Orthodox Church, and was located on the east side of the city of Detroit, at Kerchival and Chalmers. As the church began...
Read more about Sts. Peter and Paul Syrian Orthodox Church

St. Gerard Church

Information about this center is no longer updated. This data was last updated on 26 October 2006.

Phone: 313-537-5770
Website: http://www.parishesonline.com/scripts/HostedSites/org.asp?ID=15865
The research was conducted by The University of Michigan-Dearborn Pluralism Project

History and Description

In June 1950, Father Joseph J. Dion was appointed to begin a new parish to serve the many Roman Catholics who were moving into the working- and lower-...
Read more about St. Gerard Church

First Spanish Baptist Church

Information about this center is no longer updated. This data was last updated on 5 August 2002.

Phone: 313-894-7755
[flickr_set id="72157621818389119"]
The research was conducted by The University of Michigan-Dearborn Pluralism Project

History

The First Spanish Baptist Church, affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention, was founded in 1960 to serve the Latin American population of Detroit. Earlier, the First Latin American Baptist Church, the first...
Read more about First Spanish Baptist Church

Pages