Source: The Peninsula
Wire Service: IANS
On September 14, 2005 the Indo-Asian News Service reported, "A day after the Delhi government’s announcement of Rs125,000 as compensation, victims of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots feel that the decision is too late in the day and too little, and warned of likely protests coming up. The state government had on Monday announced the compensation for each of those injured in the riots, but failed to appease the victims. The residents of the riot victims’ rehabilitation colony in Tilak Vihar area of west Delhi said that they would carry out protests in the capital if their demands were not met soon. While walking through the lanes of the colony, one would easily believe their complaints. 'We were severely injured during the riots but received little assistance from the government,' said Surinder Kaur, a 48-year-old victim. Kaur had received Rs1,000 in compensation after the pogrom. She added that the compensation announced by the government does not solve the victims’ problems, as most of their demands still remain far from being met. She informed that the victims had been promised jobs along with suitable compensation, but even after 21 years these promises have remained unfulfilled."