Source: Boston Herald
On July 21, 2006 the Boston Herald reported, "A Norfolk Superior Court judge indicated yesterday a defamation suit filed against the Herald, WFXT-TV (FOX 25) and a number of other organizations by the Islamic Society of Boston will likely go forward. Judge Janet L. Sanders said, at this time, she did not foresee throwing out the entire case, but she said she would take the case under advisement. Attorneys representing the media outlets, nonprofit groups and individuals named in the ISB’s suit argued that the case should be thrown out yesterday. Sanders said she had denied anti-SLAPP [Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation, designed to allow citizens to fight developments] petitions previously argued by the nine non-media defendants in the suit. In October 2005, the ISB, two of its leaders, Yousef Abou-Allaban and Osama Kandil, and its trustees filed a suit alleging the defendants defamed them, violated their civil rights and conspired to keep the ISB from building a mosque in Roxbury. The Herald ran investigative reports in 2003 and 2004 about a Roxbury land deal between the ISB and the Boston Redevelopment Authority to establish a $22 million mosque and cultural center."