Christian Ministry in Multi-Religious America: Boston Workshop offered an opportunity for Boston-based academics, ministers, ministers-in-training, and other leaders to develop tools for a Christian ministry that is effectively grounded in the complex issues and urgent realities of an increasingly multi-religious city. This workshop, made possible through generous funding from the Louisville Institute and the Carpenter Foundation, sought to offer participants a way to engage directly with the religious diversity of greater Boston, and to enrich their own ministries and work through these encounters. The workshop took place over the course of an academic year, gathering participants three times for site visits. The Pluralism Project served as a liaison to the communities with whom deep relationships have been built over the years through the World Religions in Boston project, organizing site visits and opportunities for theological reflection. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4qs_yu5sEA
November 8, 2009: Sri Lakshmi Temple
Schedule8:00 AM Continental breakfast 8:15 AM Introduction by Dr. Diana Eck 9:00 AM Departure by bus for Sri Lakshmi Temple 9:40 AM Welcome at Sri Lakshmi Temple 10:00 AM Sri Venkateshwara Abhishekam Pooja 1:00 PM Discussion with hosts 2:00 PM Departure by bus for Harvard 2:40 PM Theological reflection led by Dr. Diana Eck and Dr. Francis X. Clooney 4:00 PM Small groups 5:00 PM Conclusion
- Eck, Diana L. “Afterword: Seeing the Divine Image in America” in Darsan: Seeing the Divine Image in India. New York: Columbia University Press, 1995.
- On Common Ground: World Religions in America: Hinduism
- Pluralism Project Introduction to Hinduism in Boston
- Pluralism Project Profile of Sri Lakshmi Temple
- Pluralism Project Etiquette Guidelines by Tradition
- Tiruvenkatam Hymns: Two songs of the Vaisnava saint Satakopan, set at Tiruvenkatam, the holy temple and mountain in current day Andhra Pradesh. Francis X Clooney, SJ.
- Clooney, Francis X., SJ. “Chapter 3: The Way of Radical Faith: the Dvaya Mantra," in The Truth, the Way, the Life: Christian Commentary on the Three Holy Mantras of the Srivaisnava Hindus. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2008.