Information about this center is no longer updated. This data was last updated on 28 March 2013.Phone: 404-378-1600
Activities and ScheduleFive daily prayers; weekly Friday prayer services (Juma'ah), Saturday radio roadcast; daily and weekly (mostly afternoon and evening) Qu'ran, Arabic, and Islamic studies classes, health seminars, discussion groups and educational programs; religious retreats; Clara Mohammed Elementary School pre-k to eighth grade, W. Deen Mohammed High School for grades nine to twelve; the Masjid is often asked to teach other religious institutions about Islam and contribute to inter-faith dialogue.
HistoryIn 1958, Elijah Mohammed founded the Masjid, purchasing a property on Bankhead Hwy, After his death, there was a dispute over the ownership of the Masjid. Eventually, with the guidance of Elijah Mohammed's son, Wallace, ther Masjid moved to Fayetteville Road in 1974. The structure where they met is now where the Clara Mohammed Elementary and W. Deen Mohammed High Schools are located. In 1990, the members bought an abandoned shopping center on Fayetteville Road and renovated the area themselves, creating the current Masjid.
DemographicsMembership consists mostly of working and middle-class African-Americans. Members usually came from a Christian background, converting to Islam. There are a few Arab patrons of an Islamic background. Women make up a bout 30-35% of participants during the Juma'ah prayer. Overall participation of women is very hard to determine, as only one site visit occurred.
DescriptionThe Masjid is located in a former shopping center, renovated by the community. There is a large parking lot and several small specialty stores and restaurants located next tot eh Masjod. The Masjid itself is the largest structure in the complex, and the size of a retail store. The Masjid is painted green and white, with four towers in each corner on the roof and a pointed dome in the middle. Upon entering through the glass doors there is a waiting area where members congregate before services begin. To the left there are a couple offices and a bookstore. There is also what looks like an information desk. The waiting area is in front of the praying area. To the right side of the praying area, there is a hallway with a restroom for "Brothers" and a corresponding restroom on the left side for "Sisters." The "Brothers" restroom has an area where members can perform ritual bathing before prayer. Along the back wall of the Masjid, behind the praying area, there is another hallway and a library. All the walls outside the praying area are adorned with notices, announcements, and flyers, as well as various pictures and artwork. The praying area has four entrances: two from the waiting area, two from the back hallway, by the library. The room is mostly carpeted. When entering from the waiting area entrances there are shelves and non-carpeted area where shoes are placed. Along the back wall, there are some chairs. To the left, along a wood covered wall, there is a podium. All members face the left wall, which is the direction of Mecca. Men and women are both allowed in the room, with men taking the side of the room closest to the left wall and women behind them. There is no actual barrier of separation between men and women, but there is a fair amount of space between them. There are some pieces of artwork along the right and back walls.
Center ActivitiesThe Masjid is open seven days a week and is available for use for each of the five daily prayers. Evening classes, discussions, and Masjid committee meetings are held there as well. In addition, several of the school events are held at the Masjid. There are some special activities during auspicious occasions, such as Ramadan and the birth of the prophet Mohammed.
OtherThe Masjid is open to visitors. Researcher: Amit A. Patel. Date: May 2001